Estonian passports and ID cards

Did you know?

  • You can apply for a new passport and/or ID-card by POST or E-MAIL directly from the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board or through the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board’s self service portal
  • Passport, ID card can be applied this way only, if less than 6 years have passed since taking of fingerprints and applying for the previous passport
  • Passports for children under 12 years of age can also be renewed this way, as fingerprints will not be taken from children under 12 years

Your documents will be sent to the place of issue according to your application. You can choose the places of issue:  Embassy in Vienna, Honorary Consuls in Salzburg, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck, Bratislava, Zurich and Geneva.

On what occasions do I have to book an appointment and come to the Embassy to apply for documents?

  • Your old passport is expired (you need to get your fingerprints taken at the Embassy)
  • You wish that someone else picks up your passport / ID card on your behalf. A written consent (pdf) can only be given at the Embassy

Estonian passport / ID-card for an adult

Estonian passport / ID card for a child

  • When applying for the first time you will need to include the child’s CIEC birth certificate
  • Fill in standard application form (pdf)
  • Fill in additional application form if applying for a first time (pdf)
  • Copies of both parents’ passports
  • You will also need to enclose other parent’s written consent

Children under 12 years do not have to come to the embassy in person, one of the parents can submit the application on behalf of the child.

When your child has reached 12 years of age, he or she has to come to the embassy personally to give fingerprints for the passport.

When applying for the first ever Estonian passport for an adult you will need documents proving that an applicant is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by birth:

  • an original of a document proving that you are an Estonian citizen
  • an original of a document indicating that at least one of your parents is an Estonian citizen, and verification documents to prove that you are descended from a parent who is an Estonian citizen

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by naturalization:

  • a certificate of citizenship

Documents referring to Estonian citizenship for the period from 1918 to 1940 can be obtained from:

  • Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth certificates, certificates of marriage and divorce, certificates on changing names, etc.)
  • the National Archives (certificates of Defence Forces, option certificates, school- leaving certificates, documents verifying the possession of real estate or working in the public service, etc.)